The benefits of fiber-to-the-home and farm are advantageous to our community today, and for generations to come.
Here are ten reasons why RS Fiber Cooperative is the best choice:
- Local Ownership—The RS Fiber Cooperative network will be owned by the people who use it. Support will be local.
- Economic Development—The RS Fiber Cooperative network will spur economic and agricultural businesses and ag producers in Renville and Sibley counties.
- Education—The RS Fiber Cooperative project will put rural students on equal technological footing with students who live in town.
- Telemedicine—The RS Fiber Cooperative network will offer new opportunities such as having a diagnostic session with you doctor from the comfort of your home, which will improve the delivery of healthcare to everyone in the area.
- Telecommuting—Faster and more reliable Internet will make it easier for people in the project area to run businesses or work remotely from their homes.
- Local Programming—The community will benefit from Video service that includes local programming like church services and government meetings.
- Equal Access Worldwide—The fiber network will keep the project area competitive with the best Internet speeds in the world, today and in the future.
- Crystal-Clear Video—Video service on a fiber network provides a crystal-clear picture. Programs won’t fade or get lost due to inclement weather.
- Competitive Prices—Prices for cable, internet and phone service will be very competitive with the prices you pay today for comparable services.
- Investment in The Future—The RS Fiber Cooperative project is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make a permanent, lasting, and positive investment in our future. For rural residents it represents an opportunity to bring technology to their homes that will never happen again. The phone companies have already said rural residents must settle for wireless or slow DSL technology and cable companies are not interested in serving them.
Several local providers say they have fiber, but in reality are using copper and fiber. They may tell you they can give you the benefits of fiber, but they will not bring it right to your home. They will use the fiber they have in place, and continue to use copper to hook to your home. There is an old saying, ‘you are only as strong as your weakest player.’ In this case, you are only as fast as your slowest link. Copper networks (video and phone) were built decades ago to carry voice and one-way video. They are physically incapable of handling the large amounts of data families and businesses send today. Fiber networks are future proof, because fiber has an almost unlimited ability to carry massive amounts of bandwidth over long distances.
With slow data speeds, rising costs and drastic increases in network traffic, space on wireless networks is decreasing. Neither copper nor wireless can match fiber’s speed and reliability. ‘Wireless broadband networks, whether licensed by the Federal Communications Commission, use microwave radiation to transmit and receive their signals. Radio signals can be blocked by buildings, trees and other objects, and transmission quality is subject to atmospheric conditions.’*
However, wireless technology can be a wonderful complement to fiber technology because it offers mobility. All wireless traffic goes to fiber lines.
*Quote from: cloutnow.org
The RS Fiber Cooperative will be owned by you and others you know. Your money will stay in the community. Customer service will reflect that.
The project also offers technology job opportunities to area students who might want to learn more about fiber-to-the-home technology.